Tuesday 27 August 2013

Woman You Rock - Stella Mutale Sata - A 19 year old with a Global Mission

Looking around the world today, there is a huge deficit of young leaders, could it be that priorities have changed perhaps? Someone said that the youth is not motivated enough to become exceptional and hence they are just fine with mediocrity.  I have a group of young leaders I keep close to me because through their lives, I realise that there is still hope for the world. It blows my mind every time I meet young leaders who are truly maximising their time on earth by doing what is right and effective by them.  Today I interview a truly exceptional and forward thinking young leader who I believe has a Global Agenda.  Please be inspired by the 19 year old Stella.
 
Me:Please describe yourself in five words?
Stella: Young, Ambitious, Vibrant, Confident and Humble.

Me: Where were you born and what do you love about your country?
Stella: I was born in Lusaka, Zambia. I love Zambia because of the hardworking ethic of our people. You can see everyone trying to make a living every where regardless of the time. From the woman who sells tomatoes on the highway to the man whose stuck in the office from 8 to 5pm: there are very few idle people.

Me: What does Beauty and Confidence mean to you?
Stella: Sam Levinson said it best: "For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone." Beauty and confidence to me reflects in how I treat people who have less than I do.

Me: What makes you happy?
Stella: My best and most happy moments are after achieving something that I first thought difficult. I like the feeling of success after a challenge. I am also happy when I help someone in need. There is a feeling of satisfaction knowing that you gave someone a hand, maybe a ray of hope. I once helped an old man carry his suitcase and though it wasn't much, his gratitude blessing had me grinning all day.

Me: What are some of the activities do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Stella: I enjoy reading and writing my thoughts. I live for little moments of peace and quiet with a book I haven't finished to read. I also like watching movies. I consider these activities an escape.

Me: Your most fondest memory?
Stella: This was my second term in my 8th grade. I had just skipped two primary grades and was 9years old in my 8th grade. After having cried through out that years first term because I kept failing, I received my second report form and had exceled in all my classes. The report form came with a letter saying I would receive the "Most Improved Pupil" award. I was so excited and I knew then that failure was never permanent in my life and I would always improve myself.

Me: Your top five books?
Stella: 
1. Why Men Love Bitches - Sherry Argov (Trust me it's a good book about confidence, all women should read it.)
2. No wonder they call him Savior - Max Lucado
3. I know why the caged bird sings- Maya Angelou
4. Letters to my Daughter- Maya Angelou
5. Malice- Danielle Steel
 
Me: What are you passionate about?
Stella: I am very passionate about children. It breaks my heart to hear, see or read about children who are robbed of their childhood.

Me: What does it mean to be a Woman in Africa?
Stella: I believe women in Africa or African women if I may put it like that, have to prove thenselves based on both gender and race. However, African women are proving not to focus on these stereotypes and are progressively achieving so much every day. This question has a twofold answer; being an educated woman in Africa is just like being a woman anywhere in the world with similar pressures. Being an uneducated woman in Africa, however, is more of a challenge because it comes with the lack of empowerment that a lack of education brings. Hence it might mean taking a more traditional and subbordinate role in society.

Me: Please share your thoughts on Education.
Stella: Education has proven to be a stepping stone for success. The knowledge that one obtains in the classroom has proven to be just as important as the knowledge obtained in our everyday life (in the street). I believe that education in the classroom is very important but it is just as important for us to consider the average person who can not afford to attend formal classes and have to learn their values by working in the informal sector. Short affordable courses should be introduced to such people in order for them to attain the most relevant skills that we learn from the formal education sector.

Me: What have you studied?
Stella: MSc in Management and Development of International Financial Systems.
BA Hons Accounting and Finance
Diploma in Business Administration.

Me: What makes a person an effective leader?
Stella: An effective leader should consider themselves the servant and be accountable to the people they lead. An effective leader must inspire, develop and empower people and bring up leaders.

Me: You have been involved in many movements and initiatives, what drives you to be a part of them?
Stella: Most of my initiatives and movements are to do with children and my passion for them. I just feel if I can give a small token to the betterment of childhood, I would have contributed to something important.

Me: How do you deal with challenges that come with being part of these projects?
Stella: Some days are better than others haha. Well I look at the bigger picture and realise that whatever I am going through, the little people I fight for have it worse and I can not afford to give up.

Me: Who inspires you and why?
Stella: I am inspired by Dr. Maya Angelou. She inspires me in my writing and in the way she progressed from writing to producing and directing movies. I also love how she is open about her personal life and uses it to inspire others and to show me that some of the things I face today, she faced too and if she could make it, so can I.

Me: What are some of the challenges in your opinion do you think that African Young people are facing?
Stella: Young Africans are very creative, driven and innovative with so many positive ideas. We often face a barrier to progress when there are few people willing to invest in these ideas. It is quite frustrating for a mind that has so many dreams being defered due to lack of funds, physical resources and/or expertise.

Me: How do we overcome those challenges?
Stella: We can only do so much at the moment. Networking is important. It connects the person with the idea to the person who would want to develop that idea. Some young people never overcome this challenge and they end up settling for a very boring lifestyle conforming to society. We need to persevere and fight till our ideas are developed.

Me: Best advise you have ever received?
Stella: "Never count your money when you are sitting at the table."
This is a tale of humility and not living your life in a show off way.

Me: What are some of the virtues you live by?
Stella: Humility, Honesty, Prayer, Discipline and Hardwork.

Me: Where can people connect with you?
Stella: People can find me on facebook (www.facebook.com/StellaMutaleNkoleSata)

Me: Thank you Stella for such a lovely interview
Stella: Xoxo.
Hope you had a blessed women's month.

No comments:

Post a Comment