Thursday 1 August 2013

USUTHU

Soccer is in no doubt the one sports that manages to bring so many people together in South Afrika.  Its almost as uniting as music.  I remember during the world cup how many of us would randomly sing "when i grow older, i will be stronger (I hate it when the artist gets the words of the song wrong)" - OK, you get which song I am trying to sing right?  You would get into a lift and someone would be adorned in their soccer regalia and it was perfectly acceptable.  Some of us were now experts of soccer and could now call "free kicks" oh man, oh man - how I miss 2010.

Local soccer is just as exciting, if you are not a Pirates fan, you are a Chiefs fan in Johannesburg.  So you can imagine the shock on everyone's face when I mention that I am an Amazulu fan.  Contrary to most beliefs, this choice is not out of rebellion, it is a sound and sober choice.











I once partook in the Pirates walk in Soweto and I had my Amazulu FC jersey on and I was the center of attraction.  A Zulu gentleman was so chuffed that he kept on clapping his hands once at a time saying " this is a miracle, I have never seen a girl in Egoli supporting Amazulu".  I think the ball dropped for most people when they saw me in my soccer team jersey.  It would not make sense for me to go all out to get the jersey just to prove a point now would it?  There is a story to my endearment towards Amazulu.

I cannot remember the year but I remember that we were on a family holiday in Durban.  This was still my primary school days so I had not even entered teenagehood as yet.  One morning we were having breakfast at our hotel and in came in these, how do I put it, these tall, handsome and extremely attractive men.  I remember I was drawn to two particular players at that time, I cannot remember but I remember that they were brothers and one had dreadlocks.  I fell in love, I was in love.  There and there, I knew that Amazulu would always have a special place in my heart.  Many years later and every time I see an Amazulu player run on the field, my heart can't help but skip a beat.

I know we have not been having our best seasons, but hey, this is my team and I love the, through and through.  Amazulu will be Playing against PieRats, excuse me for the spelling error - Pierats, Pirates, yes, that's it.  They will be playing against Pirates 8 August 2013 at the FNB stadium and I will be there flying my USUTHU colours very high.

Follow my team on twitter here: @AmazuluFootball

No comments:

Post a Comment