Thursday 8 August 2013

Woman You Rock - Sankie Melato (It's never too late to invest in your education)

Today I will be sharing an interview with the third woman who inspires me.  Sankie Melato is an ex-colleague when I was still in the corporate world. I ran into her at wits in June and as we were catching up, she mentioned that she was preparing for her graduation day.  Our conversation truly inspired me and I couldn't keep this to myself.  so please be inspired by Sankie Melato as she reminds us that it is never too late to invest in your education.



Me: Please describe Sankie in 5 words?
Sankie:
1.    Wise
2.    Strong
3.    Courageous
4.    Patient
5.    Independent

Me:What does being a woman mean to you?
Sankie: Being a woman means so many things to me at different points in time. It is the ability to know and accept yourself exactly as you are, while giving yourself room to grow and evolve. Being able to visualise how I want my life to be and then being able to manifest it into reality. I have the inborn ability to see things in the spirit, beyond our physical vision.  Being a woman is to able to treasure my body and be free to use and nurture it in a capacity that allows whatever pleasures I feel I wish to engage in. It’s honoring the sacred feminine within me, knowing that I am not of a physical form only, but spirit. 

Me:What did you want to become when you were younger?
Sankie: Like most girls growing up, I shared the same dream of being a medical doctor. This was driven by my parents and also inspired by medical doctors around my community. 

Me:What happened after matric?
Sankie: After matric, I came to Johannesburg to study at the University of Witwatersrand. “My dream was almost destroyed when I could not enroll for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. I then registered for Bachelor of Arts, intending to major in Psychology.
The following year, I then registered for a Bachelor of Commerce and continued with Psychology. During my third year of study, I was excluded from the University due to not being able to pay for my studies. At that time, all doors seemed to be closed.
I was out of school for three years, and I got my first  job in a corporate environment and started doing what was necessary to repay my outstanding tuition fees and continue with my studies.
I registered through Wits Plus, School for Part-Time studies in order to complete the qualification. I branched off to Industrial Psychology, which I believe  was by divine appointment. I discovered myself while juggling courses and now know that it was not by coincidence.
I had already overcome a lot of obstacles along my journey of obtaining a qualification and just when I though the ‘worst’ was over, I still faced minor challenges such as having to add more courses as the curriculum had changed over the years. That meant longer time to complete, more effort and more money to raise.
Ultimately, I managed to complete all outstanding courses and got full credits in 2012. 

Me: When did you decide you want to do your qualification?
Sankie: I had always wanted to get my qualification as it was never my intention to discontinue with my studies. It was just circumstances which were beyond my control at that time. I still loved studying and wanted to study further.
I had visualized the final outcome, years ago when I first enrolled, therefore was determined to do whatever it took to get that qualification.

Me: How long did it take you to complete?
Sankie: It took me over ten years with gaps in between my studies.

Me: What were your hardest moments doing it and working?
Sankie: There were many challenging moments during my long journey to complete my studies.
Of the many, I can confirm that higher education in our developing country, is relatively expensive. Having to pay for my tuition fees in my first job, with very low income was really difficult. I had to save and take breaks for some years.
Having to keep a full time job and be in long lectures afterwards, as well as syndicate project meetings at night was at first exhausting, but my body adjusted and somehow gained physical and mental strength to go through those long sessions with ease. I suddenly had the energy and looked forward to evening lectures.

Me: Did you want to give up at one stage?
Sankie: Not necessarily, whenever I faced major challenges, I allowed myself to remain hopeful and persevere despite of how disappointed I may have been at that particular stage. I always encountered various registration issues which  sometimes I had to appeal and motivate my registration to the Dean of the school, as well as question certain rules. Out of every victorious situation, I would rejoice, despite the emotional drain of having to fight the ‘system’ and sometimes I would have to accept what seemed like defeat at that time and work towards my next move, even if it was after a year or two. I was also fortunate to be have ample support from close friends and family, and to this day I am still grateful.

Me: What kept you going?
Sankie: I was blessed to understand the value of education from a young age. My mother was as determined to do the necessary to help me remain focused. I knew that there was much more to education than just opening doors to  more career opportunities. I have always believed that education can broaden your horizons, and boost your confidence. Knowledge is power.

Me:When did you graduate? 
Sankie: I completed my degree in December 2012 and graduated on the 28th of June 2013. There was much more to those few minutes of ‘fame’. It was celebration of my long journey and confirmation that things pass. Anything that seems impossible is possible.

Me: What can you say to someone out there who feels its too late to go back to school?
Sankie: It’s never too late to study! Anything that seems difficult is not as difficult once you take the first step.I was fortunate to be with more mature students in my evening classes, some had worked all their lives and were successful in different fields, but still wanted to study further. They would often share their experiences with me and I would be so inspired by their dedication and effort to still push further, empowering themselves.

Me: Thank you Sankie for sharing a piece of yourself. I  am truly inspired and I am reminded that it is truly never too late for anything.  I wish you the best in all your future endeavors. 

5 comments:

  1. reading the part where she answers saying it took he 10 years to get her qualification, gives me hope and renewed determination to also push forward till the finish line. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats my one and only spiritual friend, stronest womn i know..proud to be have you in my life! Inspirator of note and a God fearing woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing indeed, so many people are being inspired by this story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! Thanks Sankie and thanks Malebo

    ReplyDelete