Wednesday 13 August 2014

Woman You Rock : From Emergency room to Serenity room - Dr Tumelo - Maditsi Makamu

"And a day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom" - Anais Nin. When I met Tumelo, this is the quote that came to my mind. I am totally blown away at her strength and courage to leave what many deem a "dream profession" to follow what her heart truly beats for. I have always believed that when you are aligned, life is a bit sweeter than when you are out of balance. Please be inspired

Me: Please describe yourself?
Tumelo: God fearing, family orientated, passionate, perfectionist, go-getter

Me What is your favourite quote?
Tumelo: For with God, nothing is impossible (Luke1:37)
  
Me: Top five books you have read?
Tumelo: The only books that i almost completed are Rich dad, poor dad (Robert Kiyosaki), Screw it, let’s do it (Richard Branson)
I’m such a bad reader Malebo, I've got lots of business, motivational, spiritual books that i never get to finish
  
Me: In your experience as a woman in this country, what is the significance of women’s month in South Africa?
Tumelo: It’s about the history of women struggle, about the women of our nation who tirelessly fought against the Apartheid government.  It is about reflecting who we are today and how can we carry the mantle to continue bringing liberation in our country.

Me: What do you think is the biggest issue facing women in South Africa today?
Tumelo: The numbness when it comes to Violence/abuse against women.
The levels of poverty, inequality and unemployment

Me: How important is it for women to find their own vision and dreams?
Tumelo: It’s about time that we as young women start taking charge of our lives, equipping ourselves with all that is available to us, being independent to some extent, securing a good future for ourselves and families

Me: You initially studied medicine but are currently doing something else, what made you leave medicine?
Tumelo: It all boils down to what you love doing. I am grateful for the experience I gained from being a doctor as that allowed me to truly find where I belong. I’m now doing what I love, just following my passion. Working in state hospitals can also be a torture, not encouraging at all.

Me: What are you currently doing?
Tumelo: I’m now doing Decor for events (not just any Decor but Exquisite Decor).  I believe we need to be a cut above the rest and maintain excellence in every sphere. 
I also run a hair salon with spa facilities.  The experience at the Spa is like no other. You should come through and experience it for yourself.

Me: What are the challenges you have faced being an Entrepreneur in South Africa?
Tumelo: Access to funding for a start-up.
The expectation to succeed at being everything (mother, wife, household, business, sibling, daughter, friend), and time management. Society kind of expects you to put on a cape and become Super Woman.

Me: How are you overcoming them?
Tumelo: I will not allow barriers to stop me from living my dream so I make other means. Creating networks and connections is also very important as we grow when we are united. I also find that being truthful to yourself helps, you need to know that one can only do so much. In that way you can find trusted advisors and role models to guide you along the way. I have also had to start managing my time and delegating more.

Me: How has your partner played a role in supporting your move from medicine to entrepreneurship?
Tumelo: It was hard for him as well at first but he's been very supportive and encouraging.
He's come to realize that I'm more productive and happier with what I'm doing so he supports me all the way

Me: How do you balance family and your work being a young woman?
Tumelo: That is very hard.  I will not pretend that I am a Super Woman so I had to become honest with myself.  It is actually one of the reasons I had to stop practicing as a doctor, so I can have time to raise my kids, run household, and for my partner.  You need to know what your priorities are in life and honour them.

Me: Who is your biggest influence?
Tumelo: My father and my husband.
I also admire the following women: Basetsana Kumalo, Johanna Mukoki, Khanyi Dlomo, Carol Bouwer, Dr Anna Mokgokong

Me: What has been the best advice you have ever received?
Tumelo: "Modimo o gona" (There is a God), that’s by my dad, even when he did not have pocket money to give us, that’s all he would say

Me: What are the main virtues you live by?
Tumelo: Never give up, if someone else has done it, so can I, and respect for humankind

Me: If people need more information about your projects, where can they get hold of you?
Tumelo: saditumelo@yahoo.com, 082 786 0262
Since I am a new Entrepreneur, I’m in the process of setting up a website and social media networks. Watch This Space

Me: Words by Dr Ntombi Khumalo: I have never experienced such a luxurious experience at a spa before. It is indescribable, you have to go and experience it yourself 

Please do take the time and email Tumelo for an unforgettable experience

No comments:

Post a Comment