Sunday 25 August 2013

Woman You Rock - Khomotjo Mphahlele - Ships, Bikes, Planes and Gratitude

Today I have the pleasure of interviewing one of my very good friends who goes by the name of Miss Tjo.  Motorbikes brought us together but Afrika keeps us together.  Talk about a life without limits and using everything you got to live.  Please enjoy my interview with Miss Tjo and be inspired by her love for life.

Me: Please describe yourself in five words?
MissTjo: Strong, Confident, Tolerant, Generous, Spontaneous, 
Me: Where were you born and what do you love about your country?
MissTjo: I was born in Limpopo province, GaMphahlele. The thing I love about about our country, and this makes me sad at the same time, it’s the fact that there is enough for everyone to go round.
Me: What are some of the activities you enjoy doing in your free time?
MissTjo: I jump out of planes, I climb mountains, I ride motorbikes, I sing in the shower, I read, I laugh, I love.
Me: Your most fondest memory?
MissTjo: Sitting under the shade of a mud hut in a village where I was born, mama braiding my hair while singing along to Dolly Parton’s “Tomorrow is forever” album on a radio cassette player. I’m six years old.
Antarctica. No people to meet there, just miles and miles of white dessert ice. The one place where you can get snow blindness, sun burn, and frost bite all at the same time. It was summer time then so the sun was up 24/7, no concept of time difference between day and night. I remember temperatures dropping as low as -35deg Celsius, and I still had to work the crane and discharge the cargo onto the ice shelf. It was tough back then. 
Me: Your top five books?
MissTjo: Shantaram, Male daughters-Female Husbands, Half of a Yellow sun, Kite runner, Secrets of a woman’s soul
Me: What are you passionate about?
MissTjo: Teaching. That’s why I’m on this current team.
Me: What does it mean to be a Woman in Africa?
MissTjo: Being able to do what I do for a living and still inspire young boys and girls to aspire towards their dreams, knowing that there’s so much ground work that has been covered already to make this possible. The future of this continent is so bright, I need my chanel sunglasses to block out the shine.
Me: Please share your thoughts on the statement " A woman in a man's world"
MissTjo: For a while this term meant that I had to be better than the boys, I had to outdo them at every turn. I was hard, but I managed. No one ever sat me down and taught how to navigate my way around, until a man showed me how. He said that I really don’t have to compete. All I need to do is accept that I’m a woman in a man’s world, I need to let the men to see me as a woman in their world and just like them I’m working towards their common goal, I need to be firm but not imposing, strong but not overbearing, among other things. And very soon, you’ll see them bending over backwards, to assist you and allowing you to lead them. My job has never been so much easier since.
Me: Tell us more about the career you have chosen?
MissTjo: You have to have your priorities sorted out right from the start. Be prepared to go away and out of range for long periods at a time. Work insane hours. You’re constantly aware of your surroundings, the ship at sea is very vulnerable and any danger that arises, your survival depends entirely on your training and initial response. On the up side, the job teaches you about responsibility, humanity, character, tolerance, patience, it opens your mind to so much more, you learn so much more about yourself that any other institution or industry can ever teach you.
Me: What are some of the stereotypes that come with your career?
MissTjo: Men assuming that you being a girl, you’re only as good as your boobs look. So you have to sway that image away from their minds quick, then you save yourself a lot of frustrations in the future.
Me: What are your best moments in your career?
MissTjo: When I assigned to the 04-08 watch, I look forward to calculating the time of sunrise and sunset, and if my heading is easterly or westerly, it literally looks like I’m chasing the sun. The view is absolutely mystical. Did you know, that when the sun sets, in relatively cold sea, with no clouds, sea smoke or fog, you can see a green flash? The most beautiful thing ever. And at night, I would watch the stars, and make a wish on a shooting star, I actually believe in that, I've seen a lot of my wishes come true to not believe otherwise.
Me: Is it a black or a woman thing when it comes to ignorance about your type of career?
MissTjo: I’d say it’s a bit of both. Black people and water generally don’t mix, and especially if you’re gonna tell them about the ship…I think it’s a historic thing dating back to slavery. But things have evolved since and I think as far as women are concerned, mothers and fathers alike need to teach their daughters and sons that it’s ok to go play in other countries. The people don’t bite there.
Me: How do you deal with challenges that come with being at sea and away from family all the time?
MissTjo: When I’m away and I know I’ll be away for four months, I psych myself up for that, and I don’t think about home much. I call when I call, they know it too so they get prepared for it. My mother would keep tabs on piracy news and so to put her mind at ease, I call her regularly when we’re transiting in those arrears until we’re clear. But my mama and my sisters are very supportive and are very proud of what I do.
Me: I know you get to explore many countries while at sea, can you share your top 5 and why?
MissTjo: A lot of the countries we dock are very maritime oriented and they receive a lot of sailors in their towns, most of them can’t wait to receive us even in their homes. They take us through the town, the villages, teach us about their cultures, feed us their food…its amazing. I even got a few marriage proposals around…lol. So here are some of my highlights.
Honiara in Solomon Islands, Papua New Guniea, Conarkry in West Africa, Curacao in the Caribbean, Mantazas in Venezuela, Baltimore in USA, Klaepida in Lithuania to name just a few.
Me: What does it take to get into your line of work?
MissTjo: Study a diploma in Maritime studies, complete 12 months cadetship/work integrated learning, pass an oral exam with the South African Maritime Safety Authority and receive a certificate of competency and move up through the ranks. Sounds easy enough don’t it? Well it’s not.
Me: Who inspires you and why?
MissTjo: My mama. She’s my rock. I’ll say no more. She’s been through a lot, but she’s still got enough strength left in her for her baby girls.
Me: What are some of the challenges in your opinion do you think that African people are facing?
MissTjo: As Afrikans I think due to our general attitude towards fellow humans, we tend to approach a lot of the issues with an apologetic approach and that is quickly taken for grated and interpreted as weakness and so we've basically turned ourselves into door mats, and everyone one does as they please on our playgrounds
Me: How do we overcome those challenges?
MissTjo: We need to go back to where it all started, and take over our heritage, change history and write our own. Educate our children, the Afrikan way. It’s really getting out of control. I’m about to bring a child into a world where they’re about to make it illegal for me to discipline my own child. Where did it all go wrong? We need to find that place and make it right.
Me: Best advise you have ever received?
MissTjo: This man quoted me this, from a movie “Do what you have to do, so you can do what you want to do. When it seemed pointless and I was close to quitting, this kept me going. I’m here now.
Me: What are some of the virtues you live by that makes you who you are
MissTjo: Humility, Joyfulness, Respect, Trustworthiness,
Me: Where can people connect with you?

MissTjo: Facebook I guess

Me: Thank you so much for the inspiration, see you on the road you hear! @288km/h

No comments:

Post a Comment