Wednesday 20 August 2014

Woman You Rock - Journey to her BEST life yet - Charmaine Dlamini

Today I talk to someone that is extremely special to my heart. Her story represents so much of what is wrong in our society. She has a story that has become normal for the average South African. What sets her apart is the fact that she hasn't allowed her environment and background get in the way of living her best life yet. I usually look at her in awe and KNOW for a fact that if I had half the spirit she has, I would be president by now ha ha ha... Enjoy

Me: Please describe yourself in five words. 
 Charmaine:
1) Ambitious,
 2) Go-getter
3) Persistent
4) Humble
5) Self-confident. 

Me: Where were you born? 
Charmaine:I was born in Soweto at Senaoane clinic on the 3rd of May 1987, then grew up at Dlamini 2 Bongiwe street. What was your childhood like? I grew up in a large and very warm family,my grandmother was the pillar of strength she gave us unconditional love and taught how to keep the love amongst us and share it outside our home,she taught us how to share we were a happy family. 

Me: Top five books you have read? 
Charmaine:
 1) The Secret-Joe Vitale, 
2) Mind Power-John Kehoe, 
3)The Alchemist-Paul Caelho, 
4)Capitalist Nigger-Chika Onyeani, 
5) The Saint,The Surfer and The CEO-Robin Sharma. 

Me:What are some of the challenges you have faced in your life while growing up? 
Charmaine: When I grew up I had an issue of low self-esteem because I was very dark skinned. I was made to believe that being dark skinned is a sin and my peers used to ill-treat me so I grew up with so many issues such as having suicidal thoughts cause of the treatment although I never had guts to do it. I grew up with those issues until high school then I joined netball at the age of 12 years old and that gave me self-confidence a bit. I started accepting myself as I am because God made me that way.

Me: Is that solely how you overcome or were there other ways?  
Charmaine: Besides netball,when I finished high school I got a job at McDonald's, I was very scared at first which goes back to "low self-esteem". I didn't believe I can actually be as quick and efficient as the people working there. I got used to the environment and started gaining confidence. I got myself a mentor which was my operations manager...he mentored me until I became a manager then an events coordinator...I took the first step to take things into my own accord and I did it... 

Me: What do you think are the biggest challenges faced by entrepreneurs in South Africa today? 
Charmaine: I think the biggest challenge would be lack of information and resources to start a business. We basically start our businesses due to what we know and we are also challenged because those who have relevant information in specific businesses don't share information. Then to grow a business can be challenging because we have no experience when it comes to managing finance. 

Me: Why did you choose to become an entrepreneur? 
Charmaine: When I finished school I wanted to become a Chattered Accountant but my school marks were not good enough.  I was told I must do a bridging course in banking but I didn't get fees money. I couldn't study that's when I looked for a job and got it at McDonald's. I worked there for 8years then I got promoted as an events coordinator that's when I fell in love with events...I always had a phobia to spend 10years at McDonald's and events was my break through to leave McDonald's and start my own thing and I did. 

Me: Has it been an easy journey? 
Charmaine: It has'nt been easy at all especially as a woman firstly I struggled to be given a chance then when I started my business. I had two women partners and my main aim was to empower women in events and do hard labor but as time goes on we went our separate ways.  I am left alone then decided to work with my younger brother and so far we work well together. 

Me: Tell us more about your business.
Charmaine:  I started my business late 2012 but I launched it in May 2013 its called BASADI-BA-SOWETO PTY LTD. We started out as hiring of stretch tents. When I left McDonald's I got my provident money and invested it in buying a stretch tent then that one tent bought other tents. As I was working with my clients I found out that clients prefer to use one person for all the event things...then I started doing decor and now I want to do catering. In my business we do all kinds of events such as kiddie's parties,weddings,fashion shows,unveilings,etc... 

Me: What do you do when you feel like giving up? 
Charmaine: The only time I feel like giving up is in winter especially after a hectic festive season. What I normally do is I plan for summer and get ideas for next winter so that I don't experience dry season in my business...I also confide in my close friends or write a journal but the thing I always do is Pray and ask for wisdom from the man upstairs. 

Me: You also run a netball team as a form of a mentorship tool, please tell us more about it
Charmaine: I joined the netball team last year, a lady I know used to coach the team (Little Angels) and she had to relocate and asked me to take over the team. I did because she knows I love netball, I fell in love with the kids,they gave me the same love...its something I do, not because I expect to get paid but because I love sharing my netball skills with the kids because netball helped me and served as a foundation when I grew up. I want to give back by coaching them, It's not much and its quite challenging because we don't have resources and when we have away games I pop out money from my own pocket but that doesn't bother me because I am doing for the love and the kids appreciate it. 

Me: Why do you think mentorship is important? 
Charmaine: I think mentorship is very important and if I got a mentor at a younger age I'd probably be the president today ha ha ha. I believe kids need to know their true self at a young age and they need to have something they stand for such as principles,values,standards and self-respect...mentorship is like sports, its a great foundation. 

Me: Who is your biggest influence?  
Charmaine: Ethel Dintso my best friend,my mentor,my sister,my pillar of strength, my advisor, my everything. 

Me: What are the main virtues you live by? 
Charmaine:
1) Be yourself, 
2) What doesn't kill you make you stronger,
 3) Your past circumstances does not define you, 4
) As we grow we learn,as we learn we grow...

 Me: If people need you where can they get hold of you? 
Charmaine: They can contact me on: 0724515587/0604645596 
or email me at chamzadlamini@gmail.com 
or go to my business page basadibasoweto pty ltd 
or my personal page Charmaine Pinotage Dlamini Mashaba thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud to know you as a friend you are a strong and Amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete