Thursday 14 August 2014

Woman You Rock: Capturing Moments through the soul - Xolisile Vilakazi

There are certain stereotypes that although have been dealt with, would still take some time to demystify from our minds. There was a time when photography only belonged to men an now we see women coming up and owning their space as women and not competitors of men. I first met Xolisile at an event I was an MC at and her captions were gorgeous. She then later helped out with the Gorgeousity In Me project and she was amazing. She is my inspiration and here is why...


Me: Please describe yourself in five words? 
Xolisile:
-       Loud
-       Kind
-       Ambitious
-       Creative
-       Sensitive

Me: What do you like about South Africa? 
 Xolisile: The freedom to be our cultural diversities. How things like music and dance brings us together. The politics. Generally there is never a dull moment, but we just continue living,

Me: Top five books you have read?
Xolisile:
-       Yesterday I cried  - Ayanla Vanzant
-       Khabzela – Liz MacGragor
-       Goodnight lady – Martina Cole
-       Rich dad, poor dad – Robert Kiyosaki
-       Capitalist Nigger – Chika Onyeani

Me: Please tell us more about Ulani Photography?
Xolisile: PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE GOLDEN WORD. We take photography to the people. In this fast paced Joburg some people hardly have time but would love to take pictures. So my studio is mobile, I come to your door step. I feel people are more relaxed and comfortable in their own surroundings. We capture moments. We do family photography, maternity, newborn, weddings and parties, indoor studio set up its all up to you. No event is too big or too small. We also offer layout, design and print of photobooks and calendars. A personalized cheerful, fresh and vibrant service with a woman's touch.


Me: Why Photography, have you always loved taking photos?

Xolisile: Pictures never lie … I’ve always been fascinated by visuals. I remember growing up how I loved paging magazines just to look at the pictures , though at the time it’s not something I considered as a route I’d take but now it's all making sense. It’s true what they say: never ignore the things that make you come alive when doing. Where your interests are is where your destiny lies. It’s been quite a journey and there is still a lot to be done.

Me: What barriers have you faced, as a woman, in becoming successful in your field?
 Xolisile: Historically Photography was a white male dominated Industry and despite the change in dynamics; many people still regards it as so. I have had a lot of instance of people who do not know me but need my services address me as “bhuti”. So that somehow creates a barrier because it’s like you can’t be trusted fully to execute the project as a woman, Black woman as a matter of fact.

Me: How did you overcome them?
Xolisile: By being professional at all times, making working with me a memorable experience. I am generally a friendly person which brings a lot of ease to my clients and I let my work speak for itself.

Me: With your experience, what words of advice would you give to women considering pursuing a career in your filed?
Xolisile: Practice makes perfect. There will be days when your camera just betrays you ; keep calm and try to make things work. The tricky thing with being a photographer is you work with people, and people have their own standards and expectations so you really have to step up or stomach all the criticism and try to make the client happy. 

Me: Do you think South Africa is progressive as far as the arts are concerned? 
Xolisile: It’s getting there slowly, still need to educate the general public about the arts so they appreciate it more. I just feel it’s a profession that’s not taken as serious as other sectors such as medicine or accounting.

Me: What are the great lessons that life has taught you? 
Xolisile: Things don’t always work out as you hoped but you are still in control of your emotions and aspirations just keep moving forward, pain is temporary it can last for a day or a year but eventually it will subside. Time heals…
 
Me: Who is your biggest influence?
Xolisile: My mother. She is a phenomenal woman, I wouldn’t trade her for anything. She is a simple example of the saying “the best things in life are free” My mom is not formally educated but has a “PHD” in simply being a mother!! Her love and warmth suppresses all understanding. She taught us the power of simplicity that in life you just have to play your part with the little you have. She worked in small firms but had big dreams for us. Her role modeling on the importance of discipline, hard work, respect, humility, strength. My mom is love and happiness and that what life is to me just that. Material possession is a bonus because we have to leave.

Me: What has been the best advice you have ever received?
Xolisile: You don’t have to be that talented just be committed.

Me: What are the main virtues you live by?
Xolisile: Kindness, Love, patience,Humility, tolerance.

Me: If people need more information about your company, where can they get hold of you?
Xolisile: They can visit me on
instagram: Ulani Photography
xolisile@gmail.com

#SuperShero Shoot by Ulani Photography
Words by one of the SuperSheroes after the shoot: "I cannot believe how beautiful and worthy I felt today, Xoli is amazing and patient whoooooo"

No comments:

Post a Comment