Friday 12 July 2013

Dudlu Ntombi!

Thabo Mbeki in his speech “I am an African”  said “ I am an African, I owe my being to the hills and the valleys, the mountains and the glades, the rivers, the deserts, the trees, the flowers, the seas and the ever-changing seasons that define the face of our native land.” In essence, you realise that God created us to be part of the Land that is native to us, so Afrika is a part of who I am, and not loving the Land I was born on, is in actual fact, not loving a part of me.  One could argue that colonisation and systems such as “apartheid in South Afrika” have had a devastating psychological impact on Afrikans, bringing about a culture of self-hate. 
In Joseph M. Nyasani, a philosophy professor’s work to define the “African Psyche”, he holds the perspective that the way Afrika was viewed under colonialism became one where Afrikan cultural traditions, beliefs and behaviours were regarded by Afrikans to be inferior when compared to non-African ways.  This led to self-loathing among Afrikans he said.  In fact, he believes and is confident that the worldview of most contemporary Afrikans was replaced by the European worldview to a point where you cannot tell a difference.  
I remember while growing up, a picture was painted that the West was the ultimate dream and this is what we had to attain.  We denied our cultures and called them barbaric.  Our accent was heavily influenced by the West and was often measured to determine our level of intelligence. The better and clearer your English was, the more intelligent you were seen to be. I remember not understanding why I had short course hair, oh how I could do anything to have long straight hair, I guess this is why some ladies opted to relax their hair and even today we see ladies who decide to wear weaves and never be seen without it.  I chose to learn German and Slovak over learning one or more of the native languages in South Afrika.  I could not speak my mother tongue fluently but I guess that was fine since I could speak English perfectly well.
I was afforded the opportunity at a very young age to travel across Europe and America and one of the questions I would get asked was where I was from, my answer was always “Johannesburg”, people would usually respond with “Oh, Johannesburg in Afrika” I would be heavily offended and make sure I stress the fact that I was from “Johannesburg” not “Afrika”.  I was sure that there was a difference, but my travels across Europe and America did more good than harm for my identity as an Afrikan.  Experiencing different countries in Europe I got exposed to the vast and diverse cultures.  Each country had a story to tell, everyone knew who they were and why they did things in a certain way.  North America was filled with so much diversity I was almost sad that I could not tell them a story, I did not know where I came from and who I was.  I could not relate how we do things back home and why we do things a certain way, this caused me to long for my land and I couldn’t wait to get back and experience it and most of all, find my identity within my land. 
Since then I have been on a journey to discovering Afrika in my context.  Just looking at South Afrika, the country God decided to situate me in, I realise what an amazing country this is.  The cultures within South Afrika are amazing, rich and diverse.  What an amazing achievement for a South Afrikan to speak at least 8 of the 11 official languages.  To understand the difference that lies within each of our cultures, to embrace each other, end tribalism and find harmony.  To stop viewing the cultures as outdated but rather realise that many of its values and norms can be instilled in modern
day society.  Although I have not fully attained this, I have to still break certain idiosyncrasies in my life but I know that what matters is that I have begun this journey of discovery.  I do not in any way look down on anything I do not consider Afrikan, but I do advocate for self-love and contentment.  We can only embrace others if we truly embrace ourselves first. 

One day I was walking in town and a zulu woman started serenading me. Auw Madoda - Only in Mzanzi!!!!
  



Dudlu ntombi!!
Nongena bhasikidi uyangen’ emakethe
Gegelagege ziyakugegela
Akukho ntombi yagana inyamazane sikhona
Nongena nkomo uyayidl’ inyama
Oseyishayile akakayosi
... Noseyosile akakayidli
Noseyidlil’ usedl’ icala

Kusho min’ uma Vilakazi UJili Umphephethe

2 comments:

  1. Done! For the love of my Afrika. Vast, beautiful continent, birth of my soul, sand to my being, ruler of my mind, conquerer of my future, mother to the world. What beautiful people you have birthed...how I love this continent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your writing, it is very clear that you have been very previleged from a young age to have been afforded a chance to explore the world. To some, this will only be a pipe dream. But what i like most about it all is that instead of adopting the cultures and accents of all those foreign countries; which would have been very easy to do considering the tender mind; it actually evoked the need, from inside of you, to want know and understand your own roots. Today you can proudly recite a poem that you just heard down town with appreciation and pride. I must say you are a rare breed of woman in this day and age who is still proud of her "Afrikanness". And i must emphasise; i like that way you write it; "AFRIKA"!!! Nowadays all we see is weaves and foreign accents and others that can't be said for fear of being labelled judgemental. Please don't get me wrong, i do not have any particular problem or neither do i value someone with a weave any less, just based on the fact that there's a weave in the picture. And i also do not mean in any way imaginable that short coarse hair makes one more "Afrikan".However i must mention that it makes for a very disturbing sight for you to not observe certain customs like covering your hair while attending certain traditional events for the reason of showing off your expensive weave. I know this is a touchy subject, but the point i'm trying to drive home is that being "Afrikan" is not only superficial, but it also involves understanding the bigger picture and understanding one's roots as you correctly alluded to on your text. You also mentioned something about self-loath, which is a phenomenon believed to be more prevalent amongst "Afrikans" and closely related to another phenomenon known as "Afro pessimism". The former is being observed mostly among Blacks and explained as Black-on-Black hate and not necessarilly one hating him/herself but self being used to denote the "Black nation", and the latter being explain as rating everything "Afrikan" as low class or of inferior value, if at all valuable. But where does one start to raise consciousness about being "Afrikan" without sounding political??

    ReplyDelete