Friday 28 February 2014

Unleashing my Sabi - "The Sabi" by Diane Brown

I am a sucker for books, and recently, I have developed an insatiable hunger for African Literature.  It’s amazing how we are brought up to think that Black people do not read or write and one never imagines that there could be such a wealth of treasure right here on our continent.  It is quite amazing what one can find out there, African Literature is one of the best and captivating.


I recently met a wonderful woman on twitter by the name of Diane Brown.  Upon checking her profile, I started following her blog.  I fell in love with the way she expresses the truth in words.  This was not my only discovery about this woman; she had also released a book with a very intriguing title ‘THE SABI’.  

The Sabi couldn’t have come at a better time in my life.  I am currently on a journey to discovering the African soil within me.  This soil that was washed away when I was born by the water that told me lies of who I truly was.  While growing up, I believed that I was not African, it did not make sense, Africa was dark and I did not want to be part of it. Self-hate was deeply entrenched in my being to a point that I was not aware that I was denying and hating the very essence of who I was. 

The Sabi took me on a journey that made me understand what drew me to Diane in the first place.  Reading the Sabi was just confirming what had taken place in my spirit, she was a messenger in my life.  In the book, Diane not only shares her story in the backdrop of the rife of apartheid, but she also shares the history that is so common to all of us South Africans.  Very well written and narrated, Diane took me by the hand and walked with me through what was a very pivotal time in our country, a time that brings understanding to who I truly am.  I have always wished to have a taste of what it was like when our parents were fighting for a worthy struggle, when hope and Ubuntu was the underlying cloth that made everyone stick together, a time where everyone sought education because they realised that they needed to arm themselves for a future struggle, a time where music was soulful and spoke deeply to the inner man. 

I laughed, I cried, I smiled and I got angry, but what is for certain, is the joy I felt because through Diane sharing her life, she gives so many people the courage to reflect within their lives and realise that they too can stand for something and live a life worth composing music for. Page 57 of the book stood the most out for me, the moment when she was caught between life and death and a song came to resuscitate her. This song is the song which gave my 2014, the year in which I turn the big three zero, a theme. This song is by Shirley Bassey titled “I am what I am”. 

“I am what I am, I am my very own special kind of person, I beat my own drum, some say it’s foolish, I say it’s pretty…It’s my world and I don’t give a damn about lost emotions…My world so why not look at things from a different angle…Your life is a mess, till you can say, hey world…I am what I am.”

I seek out mentors from powerful women, whether by their consent or not, whether they know that they are mentoring me or not, I quietly follow them and learn from their lives.  Through meeting Diane Brown and finally reading the Sabi, I have decided that I will finally write the book which everyone has been pestering me about.  Diane too, believes that I could write a book, it is this very belief that has started my flame to being called an author someday. 

Tweets between Diane and I:
@DianeBrownSA_: @malebosays I agree Malebo and it starts early... right now! I will still tweet you from Los Angeles - and if u come by u will visit me too!
@malebosays: @DianeBrownSA_ I'm going to celebrate the entire year! Plus a book release, can you imagine? And I'll come through to LA #dancing
@DianeBrownSA_: @malebosays Yes you are and I will be there at those launches! Maybe one in LA?? So cool!
@malebosays: @DianeBrownSA_ anything is possible when you are 30 he he he! We better keep these tweets then!
@DianeBrownSA_: @malebosays Agreed cause I will have to give a short opening at the launch and say we knew this would happen! Beautiful

Perhaps all South Africans need to embrace the mirror of yesteryear, and fear it not, for it holds the answers to the questions that we seek today. Questions that, if left unanswered, will still be asked by generations yet to come.”
Diane Brown, The Sabi


Name  : The Sabi
Author : Diane Brown
Price    : $9.99 (Kindle version on Amazom.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment